ICCW conducted one-day interactive session on rainwater harvesting
theme: techniques, case studies and strategies for effective implementation addressing traditional methods, need for radical awareness and perspective, and simple guidelines.
July 12, 2019
Moderator: Mr Sripati Cowlagi
Rain water harvesting workshop initiated with a lesson to unlearn certain things pertaining to water that is taken for granted. The scare to fresh-water availability is uncalled for when there is plenty of ‘rainwater’ to harvest in countries like India. We need to plan, capture, and equitably distribute the water among all life!
Our people’s architectural skills and engineering ingenuity is demonstrated in the traditional water harvesting structures still existing all over the Indian peninsular region. However, these time-tested boons are not replicated and with time, the wisdom is forgotten and lost.
Strategies for effective implementation of the rainwater harvesting systems, planning the structure, and creating awareness through outreach programs and pledges were mainly discoursed upon.
For a full account of the presentation-series click here.
For pictures and videos of the event click here.
A pocket guide on rainwater harvesting – from ICCW is under production.
For more on rainwater harvesting:
- RWH basics
- RWH – how to do
- To calculate the volume of water of rain received in your region and the catchment area used for harvesting water
- App on rainwater harvesting
- Central hub on rainwater harvesting in Chennai
- Training manual on rainwater harvesting
- Rooftop rainwater harvesting guidelines
- Storage options on rainwater harvesting
- Rainwater harvesting in villages
- A detailed report on RWH from the government